Thursday, November 22, 2012

Celebrating the 5th Anniversary of My Online Blog

In during the Thanksgiving holidays of 2007 i decided to resume writing political commentary. I had written for years and stopped when both my mother-in-law and then my wife died in 2005. Taking the column back up and becoming politically active again was a great fork in my life, a crossroads that ultimately led to running for Congress and writing to you now.

Here is the 5th anniversary thank you column for Current Comedy.  Starting this month, columns will be cross-posted between the two sites. thank you and may you gave much thanks and have much to give thanks for.

***

Hello anybody who is still reading Current Comedy. Happy 5th anniversary! Happy Thanksgiving; I am thankful for you.

I so appreciate your attention and apologize for largely ignoring this blog for the past year while i ran for Congress in AZ's 1st election for the actual left coast of AZ, the newly created Congressional District 4, which includes almost all of the three river counties in AZ: Mohave, La Paz & Yuma (in addition to portions of Yavapai, Maricopa, Pinal & Gila Counties). It was a grand adventure and one i hope to repeat, but in the meantime, I am continuing my work of raising awareness of issues in westerrn AZ, promoting art and humor, and working with progressive groups and the AZ Democratic Party to advance the progressive agenda.

For me, the creation of CD4 has been an immense opportunity for Mohave County, and rural AZ in general, to be free from the stamp of PHX and the reign of Trent Franks. We can create our own imagery now and the rural AZ mentality isn't simply a matter of Bibles and bullets anymore. Tolerance and diversity are a redeeming strength in our country and a coming wave here in the "Mississippi of the West" as our state was affectionately known back in the day it took the entire federal gov't and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 to stop our racist shenagans. Our future is tolerance and diversity. America is changing and whether they like it or not, Arizonans are leading the change. I am even in favor of tolerance of Bibles and bullets but not when one is used to force the other down my throat.

I should acknowledge the 2012 election cycle has changed my life and my vision profoundly and probably permanently. I see the wisdom of working to affect change throught he poltical process and am off and running. In an effort to resume having an impact while i await the actual 2014 election cycle i have resumed my opinion column and aim to re-establish the posting schedule i once followed that allowed the column to be published (well, posted anyway) regularly on numerous sites and thus affect opinion and thus change throughout America.

To any long-time readers still out there, I ask you to consider the time pressures of campaigning and forgive my ignoring this site. At the end of 2010, during the period i consider some of the best articles in this long running series, i was spending 8-12 per week on each single column. I know it didn't seem that way considering the typos i'd strewn about; but the point is there was no way to continue writing those kinds of articles and campaign for Congress ... or pretty much do anything other than teach, feed the chickens, occasionally kiss the wife and campaign, campaign, campaign.

Further, as soon as i announced in Jan. some of the papers stopped running my online column to not give me undue advantage. Not having those audiences made the prospect of investing the labor even less appealing. So, i further hope any of my regular readers had continued to follow our efforts change at the campaign website: www.mikelweisser.org
or at the campaign blog: http://www.mikelweisser.blogspot.com/

I have now adapted the campaign site to be a non-profit activist site and will continue to post updates and hopefully get to the point of being a nexus for Mohave/CD 4  activists. We are continuing to move forward and i have already begun creating public activism and events to advance the progressive cause, the same way this column once attempted to. So towards that end, and in celebration of the both Thanksgiving (my 2nd favorite holiday) and this 5th anniversary, I encourage everybody to re-read my first article:
http://yzurblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/current-comedy-112307-if-dems-really.html

Also, i ask you to be thankful. Be thankful the Romney vision did not capture America. Be thankful enough of America is wise enough to not follow lockstep in line with the dominant propaganda. Be thankful the people appear to have spoken and said they want more progress and less plutocrats. Be thankful you all know each other are out there working for the better. And be thankful America still has another chance.

So now we must take it--
--mikel weisser writes from the left coast of AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment